Monday, December 16, 2013

The most wonderful time of the year...

I love lists. More than that, I love end of the year countdown lists. More than that, I love all time favorite lists. So here's my must-see Christmas list every year:

(I stuck to 10 because it's a nice round number. Honorable Mentions - Bad Santa, Harold and Kumar Christmas, Die Hard & Elf)

#10 - One Magic Christmas (1985)
An obscure choice, I'm aware. But I saw it when I was little and it always stuck with me. An interesting take on 'A Christmas Carol' a mysterious angel (Harry Dean Stanton) tries to show a disillusioned mom (Mary Steenburgen) just how good she has it despite her bad attitude. He goes to extreme lengths but it really is very sweet.

#9 - Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962)
Yet another Christmas Carol retelling, but so old school it's charming. The music is so damn enjoyable and even after being scarred by my brother singing about Razzleberry dressing all my life, I still perk up when the music begins. 

#8 - Home Alone (1990)
Right before I graduated high school I got to see the adorable Macaulay Culkin take on the robbers in his home. STILL get choked up when the 'scary' old man reunites with his granddaughter at the end. A lot of sweet moments. Best memory is seeing it in Scranton, PA and the entire theatre cheering when she asked what airport she was at and the attendant saying 'Scranton.'

#7 - The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)
Of all the stop-motion animation classics around this time of year, this is my favorite. As if Jingle and Jangle aren't great as sidekicks, Mrs. Claus is adorable as she negotiates with Mother nature to get her sons to cooperate. And are there better Christmas characters than Snow Miser and Heat Miser?

#6 - White Christmas (1954)
Okay, so I can be a sucker for the classics too. Mostly because traditionally, my mother would throw this VHS tape on Thanksgiving night while she began to write out her Christmas cards. But there are so many great moments and I dare you to try and keep a dry eye when the General walks in and sees all his soldiers. 

#5 - Scrooged (1988)
And yet ANOTHER version of A Christmas Carol, but it stars Bill Murray! Sarcasm is exactly what this old tale needed and he's just the guy to do it. Carol Kane as the Ghost of Christmas Present is just perfection. And yes, as a member of the theatre audience I actually DID sing along with the end number as requested by Mr. Murray.

#4 - It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Well I would just be a heartless shrew if I omitted this one. Jimmy Stewart is at his most adorable and vulnerable and I can't even think about Harry Bailey coming in at the end without weeping. 

#3 - Christmas Vacation (1989)
The Griswolds have always been very prominent in our household growing up as my brother, Lee, aspired to be him. He even has his wife call him Sparky. We quote this movie verbatim around the holidays. Mostly because the squirrel scene actually did happen in our living room one year. 

#2 - Love Actually (2003)
Ten years ago, two of my friends and I were on our way to a Simon & Garfunkel concert. It was cancelled due to laryngitis. Instead we went to see this movie and we were all so madly in love with it. I still laugh and cry at the same places I did that night every time I watch it. I'm sorry, there is nothing more adorable than Hugh Grant's little butt shaking as soon as the Pointer Sisters start singing. This movie has something for everyone.

#1 - A Christmas Story (1983)
Why? Because this is Christmas. Long before it was a 24 hour marathon, we found it somewhere on TV. And I can still hear my brothers laughing as little boys and as grown men each and every year. This is the symbol of Christmas to me and my family and I will love it always.

This is the first Christmas I will be at home in 3 years. The last Christmas I was home for as we were suffering from the loss of my father as well as my nephew. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to taking in the above movies/TV shows and being surrounded by all this laughter once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment